Monday, July 14, 2008

Thing #11: LibraryThing

I created a LibraryThing account and a list of way more than 5 books! I added my Book List to my blog and I joined the Crime, Thriller, & Mystery group, the Read YA Lit group, and A Pearl of Wisdom & Enlightenment group. Since I have many reluctant readers and students that just haven’t found that “hook” to get them interested in a certain author or genre, I think that they would enjoy exploring the different groups on LibraryThing. The forums/discussions among members about the kajillions of books out there could really encourage students to want to go ahead and pick that book up and read it. Oooh! I know…the student could find a book or genre that they find interesting on LibraryThing and then we could locate that book or books in the school library and do a little shared reading. I love that idea!!! I’m definitely trying that!!!

2 comments:

Dr. Garza said...

I know what you mean about getting students to read. I have quite a job just getting third graders to dive into a reading adventure.

Moore Discovery said...

You have some great ideas on motivating reluctant readers. Student like it when others identify with their interests in reading. Great ida!